Monday, January 12, 2015

TriLights of the Week

Having already spent time in rural areas in India, Cameroon, and China, I am very open-minded, positive, flexible, and adaptable when placed into new and foreign settings. My biggest “culture shock” right now is not adjusting to Indian culture, but modifying my American way of living in India. Put simply, it’s hard to be an avid triathlete while traveling abroad, but I do my best…

So here they are, my ESPN triathlon highlights of the week:

#3: SWIM – Visualized my open-water swimming technique while boating in Udaipur

Whether I'm in Iowa or India, being on water makes me
feel incredibly happy and peacefully at home.
 
#2: BIKE – Test-rode two of the coolest bikes in Gogunda, one of which had no brakes. I was not aware that the second bike "brakes nahi" (had no brakes) until I went to use them. Forever grateful for Rakesh, the kid who chased me down the hill and grabbed hold of me and my back tire. He effectively put a much-needed break on one of the most thrilling bike rides of my life.

This bike had breaks.
 
The same cannot be said about the second bike I rode...
 
...which is why Rakesh and I became instant buds.
SO thankful this kid is super fast on his feet! He saved my life.
 
#1: RUN – Initiated an impromptu road race with the kids in Gogunda. It felt so great to sprint! Who needs Gatorade when you have masala chai??
 
 
Victory dancing in the dark. Cheers to finishing a great race
and an unforgettable day.
 
 
"Incredible, India?"
"Yes, simply incredible."
 

No comments:

Post a Comment